PDA

View Full Version : WI State Law on Age?

Combat Airsoft
02 Dec 08, 07:25 PM
Are there any restrictions or laws partaining to airsoft for the State of WI and a players age?

I.E. Need to have Adult supervision from 10-14 can not handle an airsoft weapon under the age of 9 just as examples.

I understand the WAA's age Restrictions as well as Field owners and or Land Owners option to set an age requirement and or aditional course requirements. I am just woundering about State Law

Thanks

Ghostbear
03 Dec 08, 03:24 AM
While I know that this comment will probably cause a few people to be angry...

Sadly, no there is no age limit for airsoft in the state. As WI does not consider airsoft as a bb or pellet gun those laws do not apply. However, I am not a lawyer and do not know every law from every municipality in the state. So, while I know of no overall laws that would limit age, a local or city law could have some association with an 'airgun' law that would apply and could be used as a basis for legal action.

To be honest, as a retailer (of sorts), your best bet is to contact a lawyer in your area and ask them to do some research into airgun laws in your local area. If they do uncover an airgun law that 'could' be used to confiscate or restrict players, chances are you should 'voluntarily' comply with it. Even if the law does not specifically apply to airsoft.

I know that is kinda a non-answer answer, but there are just too many variables from local lawmakers that it would be impossible to assemble the data.

Actually, at one point we (the WAA) tried to get a database setup to allow for members to post their local laws that involve 'airguns' so that we could get a feel for the state's laws. It didnt go so well, as local LE did not want to verify their positions on airsoft and the applicability of those laws to it.

Anyway, contacting a local lawyer that can give their professional legal opinion would be the best method to make sure of what another lawyer would apply or not for laws in a local procecution of a violation.

DKruse
03 Dec 08, 04:24 AM
Sadly, no there is no age limit for airsoft in the state. As WI does not consider airsoft as a bb or pellet gun those laws do not apply. However, I am not a lawyer and do not know every law from every municipality in the state. So, while I know of no overall laws that would limit age, a local or city law could have some association with an 'airgun' law that would apply and could be used as a basis for legal action.

Actually I think it is considered a BB gun, since they have similar means of projection, let me look it up once the database is back up. I know local courts have upheld firing of an airsoft gun under the BB gun laws previously.

Actually, at one point we (the WAA) tried to get a database setup to allow for members to post their local laws that involve 'airguns' so that we could get a feel for the state's laws. It didnt go so well, as local LE did not want to verify their positions on airsoft and the applicability of those laws to it.

I'm also still working on a Law Enforcement Survey, it just takes time because I found out by my first sample that it has to be approved by three different bureaus within the department, ha.

The only thing in Fed Law specifically saying anything about air-soft guns is the sale of one must have a blaze orange marking on the barrel (actually states a plug interestingly enough).

The state statute database isn't loading at this time(probably cause of the snow.) I'll post again if I find something in there that could be used
(Note: I'm not a lawyer, just a guy who can look up laws and has a decent time figuring out what they mean compared to the average citizen.)

Maple
03 Dec 08, 04:51 AM
The state statute database isn't loading at this time(probably cause of the snow.) I'll post again if I find something in there that could be used
(Note: I'm not a lawyer, just a guy who can look up laws and has a decent time figuring out what they mean compared to the average citizen.)

Maybe a snow plow parked on the internet wire running from the Capitol building in Madison :D

One thing to keep in mind, unless there are concrete laws in place for airsoft guns and usage, then a decent lawyer can have a field day when it comes to lawsuits and what not. (I know, I pay lawyers to find me ways out of problems on a daily basis... it's my job.)

As multiple municipalities have different rules regarding the sale and discharge of airsoft in their townships, it may be wise (as GB suggestted) to check your local ordinances.

And by all means "DKruse", if that really is your first intial and last name, keep doing research. Being a "cawp" like guy, you may be able to open doors that punks like me (and most of the rest of us on the forums) can't. [:Y:]

DKruse
03 Dec 08, 05:37 AM
And by all means "DKruse", if that really is your first intial and last name, keep doing research. Being a "cawp" like guy, you may be able to open doors that punks like me (and most of the rest of us on the forums) can't. [:Y:]

Surprisingly, that is my real stuff. I wouldn't say "cawp" like guy, since I'm not a LEO, I just volunteer my blood, sweat, and (sometimes) skin to the "community policing" portion of my local enforcement agency. Though after school I intend to become a "cawper" Also, both the US Code and the Wisconsin State Statutes are available in databases online.

And maple is correct, civil law and criminal law are two completely different things. Most criminal laws are covered under civil as well, but there are many other civil cases that can be started compared to criminal, and the prosecution doesn't need as much evidence to win a civil case... Civil is the stuff I've stayed away from mostly in my schooling... only because it takes crim law and complicates it 5 fold. I'd pay millions if Maple could eat up every civil law in the books...

Also, the plow moved and they fixed the cord, according to every search from "beebee" to "projectile", there is nothing concerning airsoft guns with exception to sales without orange tips and dangerous weapons ban in school areas. I guess that little label on most boxes about 18 years of age is something manufacturers decided on.

Ghostbear
03 Dec 08, 07:46 AM
See, this is what I was talking about.

In Brookfield, the LOCAL ordinace is being interpeted as including airsoft for discharge in the city limits. I personally dont have a side to this one way or another, but the local officers that would be the ones enforcing the interpetation would have some say in it.

Be wise, have someone that is making their living defending or procecuting the law make the call. Check with a lawyer to make sure of any issues with the law and airsoft.

rab71
03 Dec 08, 08:10 AM
I guess that little label on most boxes about 18 years of age is something manufacturers decided on.

I believe they do this to try an cover their butt's. If you notice though people are very sue happy these days. If a twelve year old kid was to shoot him/herself in the eye, first the parents would sue the porr guy that sold them the gun. If that didn't work they would go for tha manufacturer, I am sure. The company would then point out the disclaimer on the box. Whether it would hold up or not may depend on the judge/jury or how good the lawyer is...

My seven year old asked for one for Christmas so she can go target shooting with dear old Dad. I don't see it being a problem with proper supervision and safety goggles. Not to mention it not being a powerful gun. I wouldn't buy a young kid a 550fps. weapon... Although children start at a very young age hunting, and those are real guns that kill you dead if you make an oops...:wide-eyed

jbb7292
06 Dec 08, 07:19 PM
I work retail at hobbytown usa and yes that 18 years of age is purely to protect us and the manufacturer. Aslong as someone that is over 18 fills out a waiver saying that the minor has permison to buy it and they will not remove the orange tip ,we can sell them to any age. Also most court cases on airsoft are civil against companies, hardly ever criminal

Fish
06 Dec 08, 08:56 PM
Isn't the orange tip a federal thing dealing only with interstate travel?

Ghostbear
06 Dec 08, 09:10 PM
Orange Tips are a US Department of Commerce thing.

They are a regulation that is required for commercial sale of airsoft to the public.

A-Ron
07 Dec 08, 04:24 AM
Isn't the orange tip a federal thing dealing only with interstate travel?
In that case, you've been screwed each time you've sold a gun ;) lol

Fish
07 Dec 08, 06:13 AM
Orange doesn't look good with my wardrobe.

mp5dude
07 Dec 08, 04:18 PM
In my City, there is a rule against discharging airsoft, paintball, ect. (I emailed the Police Chief). However, I do not think that there is an age limit, besides 18 years old to purchase.

Combat Airsoft
08 Dec 08, 02:17 PM
Thanks, I found out about as much as every one else did but it is always nice to check to make sure with as many people as possible. I am good as far as local laws lol basicly helps the town ship I fall under is unincorperated. LOL I am also safe as far as county goes. And civil you can sue for any thing now days and there are always counter suits etc. Bla bla bla. Thanks again for the responce.